Monday, April 8, 2013

April 6, 2013

I am back in Prineville, the cowboy capitol of Oregon to see Mikaela receive her crown as the 2013 Crooked River Roundup Queen. It seems like I was only here last week competing for the title of Miss NPRA with Mikaela and her family cheering me on. There were some celebrities in the crowd with R.L. Garrigus and Matt Gansle from the local radio station 102.9 KSJJ, and Deschutes County Commissioner Tony DeBone with his family. R.L. turned out to be the emcee (ironic considering Matt was my emcee for my coronation) and kept the crowd lively with his amazing personality.

Mikaela gathered some amazing auction items for her fundraiser including a beautiful leather tooled briefcase with art from Dyrk Godby! Along with the coronation, the grand marshal, Jerry, was introduced and were given a buckle and jacket for their contribution to the roundup. Then came the auction where I watched that beautiful briefcase auctioned off to it's lucky new owner. Deschutes County Fair and Rodeo Queen Jessie helped me carry a huge grill pan, which is harder than it looks in a leather dress.

Afterward, the visiting royalty and I changed into more comfortable jeans for the dance. I taught all the girls how to line dance and Dean (one of the rodeo directors) played a video of me doing the Hoedown Throwdown last year at the sponsor walk-around as the Sisters Rodeo Queen. So, obviously, I had to do it again live.

I want to extend my gratitude to the Crooked River Roundup board and everyone involved for making me feel so welcome whenever I visit Prineville. I will always hold a special place in my heart for the people and the rodeo. Congratulations to Mikaela, we'll be looking forward to yet another fantastic year at the 68th Crooked River Roundup!

Sara Marcus
2013 Miss NPRA

No comments: