Monday, August 5, 2013

July 31-August 3, 2013

It's safe to say that I've had one heck of a weekend! I headed over to Redmond for the Deschutes County Fair and Rodeo with my trusty steed, Jigsaw, as I normally would for a rodeo. I talked, goofed around a little bit, warmed up my horse, and then told a few jokes while we were waiting for the rodeo to start. The pre-show activities were heartbreaking to watch as they honored a few local rodeo folks like Diana Corey. During the grand entry on Wednesday, Jigsaw began limping halfway around the arena. So I had to hop off and walk him out to change my saddle over to my backup horse(who was coincidentally also in the grand entry) before running into the arena to push cows with Queen Jessie! I don't think it would have been possible to make the change so fast without the help of TJ and Doug, and of course my parents for taking Jigsaw back to the trailer. Other than that, the rodeo was fun, I had a chance to practice riding on a horse that I don't usually ride.

The next morning we loaded up my backup horse, Boots, to head over to Corvallis for the Benton County Fair and Rodeo. Unfortunately, Boots doesn't enjoy backing out of trailers...and there's no other way out of mine. She ended up rearing and bonking her head on the ceiling and cutting her head open. I didn't even notice until I went to put her headstall on and realized under her forelock was a lot of blood. My mom began removing all of my tack as I ran all the way across the parking lot to the arena in my chaps, asking everyone with a horse if I could borrow it for the grand entry. Sarah from the drill team let me jump on her incredibly tall Palomino. Now, anyone who has seen Miss Rodeo Oregon, Nicole Schrock, and myself at a rodeo would know that my horse is a black and white paint. Nicole's horse is a Palomino. Her Palomino was injured as well so she is now riding a paint...and I was riding a palomino. Oh how the tables have turned. Just a funny thought. Although it was a little odd during the opening ceremonies to hear hoof beats and whistling behind me as we're all out there. I turned around, and there's a huge, beautiful, strong blue roan loping around behind us! The horse was named "Big John" in honor of John Hammack, a local firefighter from my area, who had passed that day felling a tree. Once they cleared "Big John" from the arena, the Benton County Fair and Rodeo Queen Alyssa, Nicole, and I jumped off (horses still in motion) onto a tiny golf cart to rush over to meet Thompson Square. I probably could have run faster than we were driving, but it was funny all the same! We were too late to meet them, so we turned around and headed back to the rodeo where I walked back to my trailer to take Boots home.

THEN I drove back over to Redmond where I had planned to borrow another drill team horse for the rodeo, but it so happened that Rim Rock Riders Queen Justine had her dad's two extra horses with them and they were both saddled and ready to go. So a huge thank you goes out to TJ for letting me borrow Annie at the last minute! Probably one of the coolest borrowed mounts I've had in a long time. I also borrowed her Saturday where I sang the National Anthem to a packed grandstand. I must brag a little bit about Annie though, she was such a talented horse that one of the judges approached me and complimented my riding! So again, thank you TJ and thank you Annie for making me look good!

Also for anyone who may be concerned about Jigsaw, he will be fine in a couple months. He pulled a tendon in his knee and just requires some down time.

Until next time,
Sara Marcus
2013 Miss NPRA

No comments: